Travel Questions & Resources

It is mandatory that if you have traveled internationally, including to the U.S. that you must present upon entry a self isolation plan for 14 days. Those unable to provide a suitable plan to self-isolate for 14 days will be placed in a federal quarantine facility

U.S. - Canada joint initiative: Temporary restriction of travelers crossing the U.S.-Canada border for non-essential purposes



Financial Assistance for Canadians outside Canada



Returning Canadians

Should I be cancelling my travel plans because of COVID-19?



  • Both provincial and federal health officials have issued advice to all Canadians to avoid or cancel all international travel. Many airlines have waived changed fees. In short, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, health officials are asking you not to travel internationally at this time. Health officials are also requesting Canadians arriving back from international travel to self isolated for 14 days. 

  • The Government of Canada is advising that Canadians avoid all travel on cruise ships due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, until further notice. 

I am currently outside of Canada. Should I be returning home to Canada earlier than planned? 


  • Official Global Travel Advisory

  • Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.

  • To limit the spread of COVID-19, many countries have put in place travel or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines. Airlines have cancelled flights. New restrictions may be imposed with little warning. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted and you may be forced to remain outside of Canada longer than expected.

  • This advisory overrides all other risk levels, with the exception of areas for which we advise to avoid all travel (including regional advisories). The avoid all travel advisories remain valid. 


Either me or my family member is outside of Canada and is affected by travel bans. What should we do?


  • Canadians travelling outside of Canada in need of emergency consular assistance can contact Global Affairs Canada’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613 996 8885 or email


Visitors to Canada


  • Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential. If you are in Canada, and are seeking to travel to the border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit or permanent residence, you are asked to consider federal and provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice. If you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker, you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status. By doing so, you can continue to stay, study or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged.  In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada


  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle